BOOM TRUCK OPERATOR TRAINING
Safety is a critical component of any job site. Therefore, all boom truck operators need to be properly trained in order to understand and operate the equipment safely. In addition, OSHA requires all boom truck operators to be trained before operating the equipment.
OSHA Boom Truck Certification Requirements
A boom truck by definition is a type of crane which is mounted on carriers and is not designed solely for crane service (bucket trucks and cherry pickers lift personnel). OSHA recognizes the boom truck as a crane in both General Industry and Construction. Therefore, you first need to know if you are covered under OSHA’s General Industry Standard (29 CFR 1910) or Construction Standard (29 CFR 1926). Even if the majority of your daily operations are covered under General Industry, if your organization performs any construction, altering or repair you may need to follow the more stringent regulations covered under the Construction Standard. In addition, some states have adopted their own standards and require certifications no matter what OSHA standard the work falls under.
Total Equipment Training’s Boom Truck program provides your employees with the training and documentation to comply with OSHA’s General Industry regulations for boom truck operators (1910.180) and/or provide the training necessary to comply with the more stringent Construction Industries regulations (1926.1400).
Our Boom Truck Operator Certification Training
OSHA regulations require that only qualified and authorized boom truck operators or operator trainees, under the direct supervision of a qualified boom truck operator, shall be permitted to operate boom trucks. To ensure that only qualified personnel operate boom trucks, OSHA regulations require that operators successfully complete a crane operator qualification process.
Our on-site, customized boom truck operator training is designed to provide the information and testing to help ensure that your organization’s boom truck operators’ are able to operate your boom trucks safely and effectively in most situations. Our tailored training consists of both classroom training with written testing, and hands-on training with practical testing. Below is a brief outline of our basic starting point that will be adapted to meet the needs and skill levels of your organization.
Classroom Boom Truck Operator Training:
- Understanding OSHA 1910 and 1926 regulations
- Causes of accidents and preventions
- Pre-operation inspection
- Knowing and understanding hand signals
- Mock critical lift meeting
- Capacity load charts
- Crane configuration and modes of operation
- Proper crane set up and blocking
- Operator and Rigger responsibilities
- Wire rope construction, design factors, uses, and inspection
- Gross and net capacity with factors that reduce capacity
- Written tests (Load charts and general crane safety knowledge)
- ANSI B30.5 and PCSA rules and regulations
- Assessing site conditions
- When and how to make deductions
- Work areas and maintenance issues
- Modifications to the job site, if needed
- Working with the range diagram
- Working around power lines
Hands-On Boom Truck Operator Training:
The length of the hands-on performance training and testing will vary depending on the skill of your crane operators. The customized hands-on training can consist of, but not limited to:
- Assessing site conditions and obstructions
- Pre-operation inspection
- Proper crane set up and Maintenance basics
- Operate to feel controls
- Erecting and stowing jibs and extensions
- Lifting light loads and heavy loads using the capacity load chart
- Lift problems using the capacity load charts
- Hooking and hitching
- Moving and driving
- Securing the crane
- Lifting on rubber and carrying loads
- Reeving blocks and balls
Participants will be required to successfully complete a practical evaluation evidencing they are qualified to operate the boom truck.
ARE YOUR EMPLOYEES IN NEED OF BOOM TRUCK OPERATOR TRAINING?
At Total Equipment Training, our boom truck operator trainers are experienced, thorough and the best in the industry. Our effective and efficient approach to boom truck operator training sets us apart from other training programs. We bring our training program to your site, saving you time and money. In addition, our on-site boom truck operator training can be customized to meet your organization’s specific needs. If you’re interested in one of our training programs, contact us today!